7 Delicious Recipes with Miso
by Purple Carrot
We love miso. It’s been an essential ingredient in Japanese cooking for ages, and we can see why. It’s incredibly versatile, and it adds an unexpected depth—and loads of flavor—to any dish
But what exactly is it?
It’s a paste that’s made by fermenting soybeans with a mold called koji (which comes from rice, barley, or soybeans). Miso can be made in just a few weeks, but there are varieties that ferment for years. Miso paste is often described as salty, earthy, or even funky, with a complex, layered flavor.
Miso paste can vary in color and taste, with white being mellow and refreshing, and red miso—which ferments for over a year—having a deeper, richer flavor. Whatever type of miso you prefer, we recommend adding it to salad dressing, rice, sauces, and even baked goods!
And to help you get started, here are 7 delicious recipes with miso:
- Miso Carrot Cavatappi with Toasted Breadcrumbs & Gremolata
- Popcorn with Miso Butter & Togarashi
- Miso Coconut Ramen Bowls with Charred Broccolini & Radishes
- Crispy Sheet Pan Tofu with Midnight Grains & Miso Power Dressing
- Creamy Miso Risotto with Roasted Winter Vegetables
- Japanese Gnocchi with Miso Tomato Butter & Bok Choy
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Cucumber Chickpea Salad & Miso Tahini