Southwest Cheesy Mac
with Jalapeños & Pepita Parmesan
Get Recipes Delivered
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond milk
- 6 oz cavatappi pasta
- 2 oz vegan cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 oz pickled jalapeños, drained and minced
- 4 oz roasted red peppers, drained and minced
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta. Add butter to a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When butter is melted, add onion, garlic, miso paste, and a pinch of salt and pepper to the skillet and cook until onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add flour and stir. Add almond milk, whisk, and bring mixture to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until sauce thickens, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add pasta to the boiling water, stir, and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and rinse the pasta with cool water to stop the cooking process and return to the large pot, off heat.
Add sauce, cheddar, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a blender. Blend cheese sauce until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add pumpkin seeds, nutritional yeast, and a pinch of salt to a small bowl, and mix the pepita parmesan.
Add cheese sauce, jalapeños, and red peppers to the large pot with the pasta and stir. Transfer pasta to a baking dish, sprinkle with pepita parmesan, and bake until hot and bubbling, 7 to 10 minutes. Divide the Southwest cheesy mac with jalapeños and pepita parmesan between plates. Dig in!