Ancient Grain Bowls
with Crispy Chickpeas & Pistachio Cashew Cheese
View Full Nutrition Label
Get Recipes Delivered
- ¾ cup barley
- 13.4 oz chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tbsp French mustard & herb blend
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 oz sliced leeks
- 2 tbsp pistachios, finely chopped
- 2 oz Treeline® Dairy-Free Herb Garlic Cheese
- 1 lemon, half juiced, half cut into wedges (divided)
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 4 oz baby arugula
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil*
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Add barley, 2 ¼ cups water, and a pinch of salt to a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the grains are tender, 22 to 25 minutes. Drain any remaining water and return barley to the saucepan, off heat. (4-serving meal: use 4½ cups water)
Add chickpeas, 1 tbsp olive oil, French mustard & herb blend, and a pinch of salt to a baking sheet, and toss. Roast until browned and crispy in places, 12 to 15 minutes. (4-serving meal: use 2 tbsp olive oil)
Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add leeks and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until leeks are softened and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add pistachios to a plate with a pinch of salt and pepper. Form cashew cheese into 4 balls, and roll in pistachio mixture to coat. (4-serving meal: roll 8 balls)
Add lemon juice, apple, arugula, 1 tsp olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a medium bowl. Toss the arugula apple salad. (4-serving meal: use 2 tsp olive oil)
Add barley to the skillet with the melted leeks. Taste, and add salt and pepper as necessary. Divide the arugula apple salad between bowls. Top with barley and melted leeks, crispy chickpeas, and pistachio cashew cheese. Serve the ancient grain bowls with lemon wedges. Dig in!