Apple Ginger Dal
with Toasted Almonds & Lime
Get Recipes Delivered
- ¾ cup farro
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 oz fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 apple, roughly chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¾ cup red lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 5.5 oz coconut milk
- 1 lime, half juiced, half cut into wedges (divided)
- ¼ oz fresh cilantro, leaves and tender stems roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp golden raisins
- 3 tbsp sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil*
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Add farro and a pinch of salt to a medium saucepan, cover with 1 inch water, and bring to a boil. Cook until grains are tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Drain any remaining water.
Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, ginger, apple, parsnip, and a pinch of salt. Cook until onions are translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Add curry powder and coriander and cook until spices are fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add lentils, coconut milk, 2½ cups water, and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until lentils are tender, 14 to 16 minutes. Turn off heat, add lime juice and golden raisins, and stir the apple ginger dal. (4-serving meal: use 4 tbsp olive oil, 5 cups water) TIP: To “sort” (as indicated in the ingredients list) means to look for and discard any naturally occurring debris or stones.
Add sliced almonds to a small skillet over medium heat and toast until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Divide farro between bowls. Top with apple ginger dal and sprinkle with toasted almonds and chopped cilantro. Serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!