Creamy Corn Bisque
with Cilantro & Smashed Avocado Tostadas
Get Recipes Delivered
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chorizo spice blend
- 13.4 oz sweet corn, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup cashews, soaked in hot water for 10 mins
- 4 corn tortillas
- 3 oz vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1 avocado, halved, flesh scooped out (pit removed)
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 lime, juiced (divided)
- ¼ oz fresh cilantro, leaves and tender stems roughly chopped
- 2 oz pickled jalapeños, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a large pot over high heat. Add onion, garlic, ¼ tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper and cook until onion is translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Add chorizo spice blend and cook until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add corn and cashews, and cook until corn is heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 1¾ cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce soup to a simmer and continue to cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and cover to keep warm. (4-serving meal: use ½ tsp salt, 3½ cups water)
Set your broiler to high and position oven rack in the middle. Add tortillas to a foil-lined baking sheet. Divide mozzarella between the tortillas and broil until the cheese melts and the edges of the tortillas are lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from oven and add some avocado to each tortilla, smashing it with a fork. Top with scallion, just half the lime juice, and a pinch of salt. TIP: All broilers are different, so watch carefully to ensure the food doesn’t burn.
Pour the soup into a blender and add remaining lime juice. Blend on high until smooth. Taste, and add salt and pepper as necessary. TIP: Vent blender (by removing the plastic center of the lid) and begin blending on low and finish on high to avoid splashing.
Divide the creamy corn bisque between bowls. Top with cilantro and jalapeños. Serve with smashed avocado tostadas. Tuck in!