Crispy Indonesian Tempeh
with Spicy Sambal & Sweet Chile Cucumbers
Get Recipes Delivered
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 8 oz tempeh, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¾ cup jasmine rice
- 2 cucumbers, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- ¼ oz fresh cilantro, leaves and tender stems finely chopped
- 1 lime, zested and juiced (divided)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Thai chile, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup peanuts, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil*
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Add ⅓ cup water, ½ tsp salt, and coriander to a large bowl and whisk the marinade. Add tempeh, massage with the marinade, and set aside. Add jasmine rice, 1¼ cups water, and a pinch of salt to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until grains are tender and water is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes. (4-serving meal: use ⅔ cup water, 1 tsp salt, 2½ cups water) TIP: You can marinate the tempeh longer for more flavor.
Add cucumbers, sweet chili sauce, cilantro, lime zest, and just half the lime juice to a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
Drain the tempeh and pat dry with a towel. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tempeh and cook until crispy on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer tempeh to a bowl. (4-serving meal: use 2 tbsp vegetable oil)
Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomato, shallot, garlic, Thai chile, and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook, stirring constantly until tomatoes start to break down and brown slightly, 12 to 15 minutes. Add a pinch of salt, remaining lime juice, and cooked tempeh, and stir. (4-serving meal: use 4 tbsp vegetable oil) TIP: If you prefer less spice, add just half the Thai chile.
Fluff the rice mixture with a fork and divide between bowls. Top with the crispy Indonesian tempeh with spicy sambal and sweet chili cucumbers. Sprinkle with peanuts and garnish with lime wedges. Dig in!