with Farro & Tomato Chutney
Get Recipes Delivered
- ¾ cup farro
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ¾ cup French green lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 5.5 oz coconut milk
- 1 tsp turbinado sugar
- 4 oz curly kale, destemmed and leaves thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup tomato chutney
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp vegetable oil*
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Add farro and a pinch of salt to a small saucepan, cover with 1 inch cold water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until farro is tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Drain and return grains to saucepan, off heat. Cover to keep warm.
Heat 2 tsp vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallot, garlic, mustard seeds, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until garlic is fragrant and begins to brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Add curry powder and stir to combine. (4-serving meal: use 4 tsp vegetable oil) TIP: If the mustard seeds begin to pop, loosely cover the pan with a lid.
Add lentils and 1¼ cups water to the saucepan with the aromatics. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Add just ⅔ cup coconut milk and turbinado sugar and simmer until lentils are tender, 22 to 25 minutes. Add kale and ¼ tsp salt and cook until kale is wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat, add lemon juice, and stir the dal. Sprinkle with salt. (4-serving meal: use 2½ cups water, 1⅓ cups coconut milk, ½ tsp salt) TIPS: To “sort” the lentils (as noted in the ingredient list) means to look for and discard any naturally occurring debris or stones. If you received a 13 oz can of coconut milk, you’ll have some left over; keep it for your own use.
Divide farro between bowls. Ladle green dal on top and dollop with tomato chutney. Tuck in!