Hoisin Tofu Steaks
with Sticky Rice & Spinach Poppy Seed Salad
Get Recipes Delivered
- ½ cup quinoa speckled rice
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice blend powder
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar (divided)
- 2 tsp turbinado sugar (divided)
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 clementine, peeled, deseeded, and chopped
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- 10 oz organic extra firm tofu, patted dry and cut into 8 steaks
- 4 oz baby spinach
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp vegetable oil*
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Add rice, 1 cup water, and a pinch of salt to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until grains are tender and water is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes. (4-serving meal: use 2 cups water).
Add garlic, tamari, just ¼ tsp Chinese five-spice blend, butter, just 1 tbsp vinegar, just half the sugar, and 1 tbsp water to a small bowl. Whisk hoisin sauce until smooth. (4-serving meal: use 2 tbsp rice vinegar, 2 tbsp water). TIP:Keep remaining Chinese five-spice blend for your own use.
Add remaining vinegar, remaining sugar, poppy seeds, 2 tsp vegetable oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Add clementine and set aside. (4-serving meal: use 4 tsp vegetable oil).
Add almonds to a large nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat until fragrant and toasted, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl with clementine.
Return the same skillet to medium-high heat and add 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Add tofu and a pinch of salt and cook until lightly browned and crispy, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer tofu steaks to a plate and drizzle with hoisin sauce. (4-serving meal: use 4 tbsp vegetable oil).
Add spinach to the bowl with almonds and clementine, toss the spinach poppy seed salad, and divide between plates. Top with hoisin tofu steaks and serve with sticky rice. 好吃!