Lemon Basil Spaghetti
with Italian Sausage & Asparagus
View Full Nutrition Label
Get Recipes Delivered
- 6 oz spaghetti
- 2 oz sliced leeks
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, de-seeded and minced
- 2 Field Roast® Italian Garlic & Fennel Sausages, crumbled (plastic casing removed)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp vegan parmesan
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 6 oz asparagus, ends trimmed
- ½ oz fresh basil, leaves picked
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil*
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta. Add spaghetti to the boiling water and cook until al dente, 10 to 12 minutes. Reserve 1 cup pasta water and drain the pasta. Return cooked spaghetti to the pot, off heat, and toss with 1 tsp olive oil to prevent sticking. (4-serving meal: reserve 2 cups pasta water, use 2 tsp olive oil) TIP: We will use this pot again in step 4.
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add leeks and cook until softened and slightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeño, sausage, and oregano, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is crispy in places, 3 to 6 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and transfer just half the sausage and leek mixture to a plate. Loosely cover with foil to keep warm. (4-serving meal: use 2 tbsp olive oil) TIP: Lower the heat if leeks begin to get too dark.
Add the reserved pasta water to the skillet with the remaining sausage and leek mixture. Cook until liquid slightly reduces, 3 to 5 minutes. Add cooked spaghetti, lemon zest, lemon juice, parmesan, and butter, and toss. Taste, and add salt and pepper as necessary.
Add 2 inches water to the large pot and bring to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until bright green and crisp-tender, 1 to 3 minutes. Drain asparagus, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Add basil leaves to the pasta and stir.
Divide the lemon basil spaghetti between bowls. Top with remaining sausage and leek mixture and serve with asparagus. Bon appétit!