Mushroom Bulgur Soup
with Baby Kale & Lemon Cream
Bulgur is made from cracked wheat berries that are par-cooked and dried, making it a fast-cooking, versatile whole grain. While mushroom and barley are a common pairing for comforting soup, we like the lighter, nutty flavor and convenient quick cook time of bulgur in this version. A drizzle of lemony cream sauce brightens this hearty soup, and butter beans contribute extra protein and fiber.
Get Recipes Delivered
- 1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 tsp vegetable broth concentrate
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 13.4 oz butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 oz baby kale
- 1/4 cup Treeline® Dairy-Free Sour Cream
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, thyme, and paprika and cook until mushrooms are browned and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. (4-serving meal: use 2 tbsp olive oil)
Stir in 2½ cups water, broth concentrate, bulgur, butter beans, 1 tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until bulgur has thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add baby kale and stir until wilted. Cover to keep warm. (4-serving meal: use 3 cups water, 2 tsp salt)
Stir together sour cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt in small bowl.
Divide mushroom bulgur soup with baby kale between bowls and drizzle with lemon cream. Soup’s on!