Mushroom Chicharron Tacos
with Arroz Verde & Apple Salsa
Get Recipes Delivered
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, ends trimmed and sliced
- 2 yellow onions, 1 sliced, 1 diced (divided)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- ½ tsp chipotle morita powder
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- ½ cup jasmine rice
- 1 lime, zested and juiced (divided)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, rough chopped
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1 red apple, cored and diced
- 1 avocado, diced (pit removed)
- 6 oz collard greens, ribs removed, each leaf cut into 2 pieces
- 4 tbsp olive oil*
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Preheat the oven 425°F. Add 2 tbsp olive oil, cremini mushrooms, sliced onion, cumin, taco seasoning, chipotle morita powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a baking sheet and toss. Cook until the mushrooms are browned and onions are crispy, 20 to 25 minutes.
Add 2 tbsp olive oil, diced onion, just half the jalapeño, and garlic to a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until onions are translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add rice, a pinch of salt, and 1 cup water to the saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until the water is absorbed and grains are tender, 13 to 15 minutes. Let rice sit for 10 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork and add just half the lime juice, lime zest, and cilantro, and stir. Replace the lid and set the rice aside to keep warm. TIP: If you’re sensitive to spice, use less jalapeño.
Add the remaining jalapeño, remaining lime juice, tomato, apple, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a medium bowl and stir to combine. Add avocado, stir, and set aside.
Place 1 collard green leaf on a clean surface. Top with arroz verde, mushroom chicharrón, and apple salsa. Fold into a taco and repeat to make the remaining tacos. Enjoy!