Plantain Rice Bowl
with Cilantro Carrot Slaw & Creamy Jalapeño Sauce
View Full Nutrition Label
Get Recipes Delivered
- ½ cup brown basmati rice
- 1 lime, zested and juiced (divided)
- ¼ cup cashews
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded and minced (divided)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 carrot, grated on the large side of a box grater
- ¼ oz fresh cilantro, leaves and stems roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 oz collard greens, leaves and stems sliced
- 1 tbsp jerk seasoning
- 1 plantain, sliced on the diagonal into ½ -inch pieces
- 5.5 oz coconut milk
- 1 tsp turbinado sugar
- Salt and pepper*
- 1 tsp vegetable oil*
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Add basmati rice, 1 cup water, and a pinch of salt to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until the grains are tender and water is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Add lime zest, stir, and keep covered. (4-serving meal: use 2 cups water)
Add just half of the lime juice, cashews, just half the jalapeño, garlic clove, ¼ cup warm water, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tbsp of olive oil to a blender. Blend until smooth and set aside. (4-serving meal: use ½ cup warm water, 2 tsp salt, 2 tbsp olive oil) TIP: Reserve the remaining jalapeño for your own use.
Add remaining lime juice, carrot, and chopped cilantro to a medium bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and mix the cilantro carrot slaw.
Heat 1 tsp vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add collard greens and cook until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add jerk seasoning and stir. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. (4-serving meal: use 2 tsp vegetable oil)
Wipe skillet clean and heat 1 tsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add plantain and cook until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Lower heat to medium and add coconut milk and turbinado sugar. Cook until sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. (4-serving meal: use 2 tsp olive oil)
Divide basmati rice between plates. Top with jerk collard greens, cilantro carrot slaw, and coconut plantains. Drizzle with remaining coconut sauce and creamy jalapeño sauce. Dig in!