Red Lentil Kitchari
with Cashew Chile Crunch & Tamarind Chutney
Get Recipes Delivered
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 oz ginger, rinsed and quartered
- 2 tsp vegetable broth concentrate
- 4 oz teen spinach
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 Thai chile, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, zested and juiced (divided)
- 2 oz Treeline® Dairy-Free Sour Cream
- 0.5 oz cilantro, leaves and tender stems roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp tamarind chutney
- ¼ tsp black pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
- ~This recipe has a spicy ingredient! For low-heat, use spicy ingredients as instructed. For no-heat, omit them entirely.~
Add rice, lentils, turmeric, ginger, vegetable concentrate, ¼ tsp black pepper, and 3 cups water to a medium saucepan and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until lentils are tender and burst, 12 to 15 minutes. Discard ginger, add spinach, and stir to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and cover to keep warm. (4-serving meal: use ¼ tsp black pepper, 6 cups water). TIP: To “sort” (as indicated in the ingredient list) means to look for and discard any naturally occurring debris or stones.
Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until beginning to brown and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Add cashews and cook until toasted, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn off heat and add just half the Thai chile, lime zest, and a pinch of salt. Set aside. TIPS: Wash your hands after handling the Thai chile. Add more chile if you prefer more spice.
Divide the red lentil kitchari between bowls. Top with cashew chile crunch, sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, and tamarind chutney. Dig in!