Red Lentil Soup
with Tamarind Chutney & Roasted Parsnip Ribbons
Get Recipes Delivered
- 4 oz chopped yellow onion
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 2 tbsp tomato powder
- 1 tbsp madras curry powder
- 2 oz baby spinach
- 1 parsnip, peeled into ribbons
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 lime, half juiced, half wedged (divided)
- 4 oz Forager Project® Organic Dairy-Free Cashewmilk Yogurt
- 3 oz tamarind chutney
- ½ oz fresh cilantro, leaves and tender stems chopped
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil*
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Preheat the oven to 400°F and position rack in the middle. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until onions are translucent and carrots are soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add lentils, tomato powder, madras curry powder, and 4 cups water to the medium saucepan with the vegetables. Bring soup to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until lentils are tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Add baby spinach, stir, turn off heat, and cover saucepan to keep soup warm. TIP: To “sort” the lentils (as noted in the ingredient list) means to look for and discard any naturally occurring debris or stones.
Add parsnip, cumin seeds, 1 tsp olive oil, and a pinch of salt to a baking sheet and toss. Roast until parsnips are golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add lime juice, yogurt, and a pinch of salt to a small bowl and stir the lime yogurt.
Divide the red lentil soup between bowls. Drizzle with lime yogurt and tamarind chutney. Top with parsnip ribbons and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!