Romesco Chickpea Sandwiches
with Roasted Vegetables & Lemony Arugula
Get Recipes Delivered
- 3 mini sweet peppers, halved, trimmed, and deseeded
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into ½-inch thick rings
- 2 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 13.4 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 oz Romesco sauce
- 1 oz vegan mayo
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 oz baby arugula
- 2 ciabatta breads, sliced in half
- 3 tsp olive oil*
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Add pepper, onion, tomato, 2 tsp olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a baking sheet and toss. Roast in the oven until vegetables are soft and beginning to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Add just half the garlic to the roasted vegetables and return to the oven until garlic is fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. (4-serving meal: use 4 tsp olive oil)
Add chickpeas to a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Using a fork, mash the chickpeas just until they start to stick together and become creamy. Add mayo, lemon zest, just half the lemon juice, and just half the Romesco sauce and mix well.
Turn the oven to broil, place the ciabatta, cut side up, directly on the top rack of the oven, and toast for 1 to 2 minutes. Add arugula to a medium bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add remaining lemon juice, remaining garlic, and 1 tsp olive oil and toss to dress the arugula. (4-serving meal: use 2 tsp olive oil) TIP: All broilers are different. Watch carefully to ensure the ciabatta and chickpeas don’t burn.
Spread remaining Romesco on the bottom halves of the ciabatta. Divide the smashed chickpeas between sandwiches. Put halves with chickpeas back under the broiler for 1 minute to warm the chickpeas. Top with roasted peppers, tomatoes, onions, and arugula. Close the sandwiches and serve with remaining arugula on the side. Dig in!