Root Vegetable Sancocho
with Plantains & Mojo Verde Corn
Get Recipes Delivered
- 8 oz root vegetable blend
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 Not-Chick’n™ Bouillon Cube
- 1 plantain, peeled and cut into ½-inch slices
- 1½ tsp Alamo blend chili seasoning
- 13.4 oz sweet corn, drained and rinsed
- 3 oz Mojo Verde sauce
- 8.8 oz precooked brown rice
- 3 tsp olive oil*
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add root vegetables and onion and cook until vegetables begin to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add bouillon cube, plantains, and chili seasoning and stir to combine. Add 4 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until plantains are tender and beginning to fall apart, 25 to 30 minutes. (4-serving meal: use 4 tsp olive oil) TIP: Mash one or two of the plantain pieces on the side of the saucepan to thicken the stew if you’d like a thicker consistency.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn and 1 tsp olive oil to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until corn starts to char, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and add just half the Mojo Verde. Stir to combine. (4-serving meal: use 2 tsp olive oil)
Make a small tear at the top of the brown rice bag and microwave for 1 minute. Divide rice between two bowls. Ladle sancocho around the rice and top with Mojo Verde corn. Drizzle with remaining Mojo Verde and dig in! TIP: If you prefer, add precooked brown rice and 1 tbsp water to a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover and steam until warmed through, 3 to 4 minutes.