Braised Coconut Chickpeas
with Turmeric & Kale
Get Recipes Delivered
- ½ cup black quinoa
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 5.5 oz coconut milk
- 1 Not-Chick’n™ Bouillon Cube
- 6 oz curly kale, destemmed, leaves roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 13.4 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ oz fresh mint, leaves picked
- 1 tsp red chile flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil*
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Add black quinoa, 1 cup water, and a pinch of salt to a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until the spirals burst and water is absorbed, 18 to 20 minutes. (4-serving meal: use 2 cups water)
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until onion is softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. (4-serving meal: use 2 tbsp olive oil)
Add coconut milk, ½ cup water, and the bouillon cube to the pot with the aromatics and bring to a simmer. Add kale, zucchini, chickpeas, and turmeric. Stir the coconut chickpeas and cover. Cook until vegetables are bright green and tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Taste, and add salt as necessary. (4-serving meal: use 1 cup water)
Divide the quinoa between bowls and ladle the brothy coconut chickpeas on top. Sprinkle with mint and just ¼ tsp red chile flakes. Tuck in! (4-serving meal: use ½ tsp red chile flakes) TIP: Add more red chile flakes if you prefer.