Sweet & Spicy Kashmiri Curry
with Japanese Yam & Green Beans
Get Recipes Delivered
- ½ cup short-grain brown rice
- 1 Japanese yam (unpeeled), diced into 1-inch pieces
- 4 oz green beans, cut in half
- 1 oz fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tbsp tomato powder
- ¼ cup toasted coconut
- ¼ cup tamarind chutney
- 1 tsp turbinado sugar
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri chile powder
- 5.5 oz coconut milk
- 1 lime, half juiced, half cut into wedges
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tsp + 1 tbsp vegetable oil*
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Add brown rice, 1¼ cups water, and a pinch of salt to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until water is absorbed and grains are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. (4-serving meal: use 2½ cups water).
Add yam, green beans, 2 tsp vegetable oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a baking sheet and toss. Roast until vegetables are tender and browned in places, 18 to 20 minutes. (4-serving meal: use 4 tsp vegetable oil).
Add ginger, garlic, tomato powder, toasted coconut, tamarind chutney, turbinado sugar, curry powder, ¾ tsp salt, ½ cup water, and as much of the Kashmiri chile powder as you’d like to a blender. Blend the curry paste until smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed. (4-serving meal: use 1½ tsp salt, 1 cup water). TIP: If you’re sensitive to spice, use less Kashmiri chile powder.
Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add curry paste and cook until fragrant and toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Cook the Kashmiri curry until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. (4-serving meal: use 2 tbsp vegetable oil).
Add roasted vegetables and lime juice to the curry. Divide rice between bowls. Top with sweet & spicy Kashmiri curry with Japanese yam and green beans. Sprinkle with almonds and serve with lime wedges. Tuck in!