Taiwanese Tofu Lettuce Cups
with Dates & Gingered Jasmine Rice
Get Recipes Delivered
- 1 oz fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into large pieces
- ¾ cup jasmine rice
- 10 oz organic extra firm tofu, patted dry and crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cashews
- 2 oz dates, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 baby romaine heart
- ½ oz fresh cilantro, leaves and tender stems roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp vegetable oil*
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see nutrition.
Add ginger, jasmine rice, 1¼ cups water, and a pinch of salt to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until grains are tender and water is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes. (4-serving meal: use 2½ cups water)
Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and a pinch of salt and pepper to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tofu is crispy in places, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer crispy tofu to a plate. (4-serving meal: use 4 tbsp vegetable oil) TIPS: Work in batches for the 4-serving meal. We will use this skillet again.
Return the skillet to medium-high heat with 2 tsp vegetable oil. Add garlic, scallion, and cashews to the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add dates, mirin, tamari, and ¼ cup water to the skillet, and cook until sauce is slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Return crispy tofu to skillet and toss to coat. (4-serving meal: use 4 tsp vegetable oil, ½ cup water)
Separate the baby romaine leaves. Add some gingered jasmine rice to each romaine leaf and top with Taiwanese tofu and cilantro. Serve the Taiwanese tofu lettuce cups with any remaining rice and tofu on the side. Tuck in! TIP: Remove ginger pieces from the rice before serving, if you prefer.