Tropical Avocado Cakes
with Mango Slaw & Pickled Pepper Aioli
Get Recipes Delivered
- ¼ cup white quinoa
- 13.4 oz cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 lime, zested and juiced (divided)
- ¼ cup gluten-free panko breadcrumbs
- 1 avocado, pit removed and flesh diced (divided)
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced (divided)
- 2 oz shredded red cabbage
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 oz pickled jalapeños, drained and chopped
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil*
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Add quinoa, ½ cup water, and a pinch of salt to a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until the spirals burst and water is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. TIP: If the quinoa is still wet or clumpy, cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes.
Add cooked quinoa, cannellini beans, just half the garlic, lime zest, panko breadcrumbs, 1 tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper to a food processor. Pulse the mixture until well combined, scraping down the sides as necessary. Add mixture to a large bowl, and fold in just half the avocado and just half the scallion.
Divide avocado mixture into six balls and press firmly to form ¾-inch thick patties. Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tropical avocado cakes and cook until crispy and warmed through, 5 to 7 minutes per side. TIP: If the cakes stick, add a little more oil.
Place cabbage in a large bowl. Add lime juice, remaining avocado, remaining scallion, and mango. Toss the mango slaw and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Add remaining garlic, jalapeño, mayo, and a pinch of salt to a small bowl, and stir the aioli. Divide the mango slaw and tropical avocado cakes between plates. Dollop with pickled pepper aioli. Dig in!