Penne al Pomodoro
with Cherry Tomatoes & Baby Kale Salad
View Full Nutrition Label
Get Recipes Delivered
- 1 shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp red chile flakes
- 5 oz penne
- ½ oz fresh parsley, leaves and tender stems roughly chopped
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 2 oz baby kale
- 3 tbsp olive oil*
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta. In a medium bowl, combine shallot, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until softened and golden brown, stirring frequently, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, ¼ cup water, and just a pinch of red chile flakes. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer the pomodoro sauce, stirring occasionally, until all tomatoes have burst, 10 to 12 minutes. (4-serving meal: use 6 tbsp olive oil, ½ cup water)
Add pasta to the boiling water, stir, and cook until al dente, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain, and add cooked pasta to the skillet with the pomodoro sauce. Add parsley and olives, and stir to combine. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. TIP: The sauce should coat the pasta; add a tablespoon of warm water to thin the sauce if necessary.
Add baby kale and a pinch of salt and pepper to the bowl with the shallots, and toss to combine. Divide the penne al pomodoro between bowls and serve with baby kale salad. Mangia! TIP: Sprinkle with remaining red chile flakes if you prefer more spice.