Black Pepper Tofu
with Chinese Broccoli & Brown Rice
View Full Nutrition Label
Get Recipes Delivered
- ¾ cup short-grain brown rice
- 14 oz organic extra firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 oz fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 bird's eye chile, minced
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 6 oz gai lan, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil*
- 1 tbsp black pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Add brown rice, 1½ cups water, and a pinch of salt to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until the water is absorbed and grains are tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork. (4-serving meal: use 3 cups water)
Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes. Add tofu and cornstarch to a large bowl, and toss. Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook, tossing occasionally, until browned in places, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer crispy tofu to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt. (4-serving meal: use 4 tbsp vegetable oil) TIP: If necessary, work in batches for the 4-serving meal.
Return the large nonstick skillet to medium heat and melt the butter. Add garlic, ginger, shallot, and 1 tsp bird’s eye chile. Cook until the shallot softens, 1 to 2 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk the tamari and brown sugar until the sugar dissolves. (4-serving meal: use 2 tsp bird’s eye chile) TIP: Add more bird's eye chile if you prefer.
Add tofu, scallion, celery, tamari mixture, and 1½ tsp pepper to the skillet with the aromatics. Cook until tofu is heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. (4-serving meal: use ½ tsp pepper) TIPS: Do not wash the skillet; we’ll use it again in the next step. Add more pepper if you prefer more spice.
Divide the rice between bowls and top with the black pepper tofu. Return the large nonstick skillet to high heat and add gai lan and ¼ cup water. Sprinkle with salt, and cook until gai lan is crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve Chinese broccoli on the side. Enjoy! (4-serving meal: use ½ cup water)