Creamy Black Beans
with Masa Dumplings & Avocado Spinach Salad
Get Recipes Delivered
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 poblano pepper, trimmed and finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 13.4 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp vegetable broth concentrate
- 4 oz teen spinach
- 2 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced (pit removed)
- 2 oz Treeline® Dairy-Free Herb Garlic Cheese
- 1 lime, half juiced, half cut into two wedges
- ½ tsp salt*
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil*
- *Not included
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Add masa harina, 2 tbsp olive oil, and a pinch of salt to a small bowl and mix with a fork until the mixture is crumbly. Slowly add ¾ cup water and knead until smooth. Use a tablespoon to scoop a ball of dough. Roll the dough into a ball with your hands, then press a divot in the center with your thumb. Place on a plate and repeat with the remaining dumpling mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion, poblano pepper, and ½ tsp of salt to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cumin seeds and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add 2 cups water, black beans, and the broth packet to the pot with vegetables. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Add dumplings one at a time and cook, covered, until puffed and tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer dumplings to a bowl with a bit of broth to keep them moist. TIP: Don’t worry if a few stray beans or onions make it into the dumpling bowl.
Add spinach, radish, avocado, just half the lime juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a bowl and toss to combine.
Carefully pour the soup into the blender with the cashew cheese and purée until smooth. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. TIP: Begin blending the beans on low and finish on high to avoid splashing.
Divide the creamy black beans with masa dumplings between bowls. Top with avocado spinach salad and lime wedges. Enjoy!