Italian Butter Bean Stew
with Crispy Sausage & Parmesan Kale
Get Recipes Delivered
- ⅓ cup wild rice blend
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 4 oz cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ tsp New England seasoning
- 2 tbsp tomato powder
- 13.4 oz butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 tsp vegetable broth concentrate
- 1 lemon, half cut into wedges, half left whole
- 2 vegan Italian sausages, removed from casing and thinly sliced
- 2 oz curly kale, destemmed and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp vegan parmesan
- 2 tbsp olive oil*
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Add wild rice blend, 1 cup water, and a pinch of salt to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until water is absorbed and grains are tender, 27 to 30 minutes. (4-serving meal: use 2 cups water)
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, New England seasoning, tomato powder, and 3 tbsp water and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. (4-serving meal: use 2 tbsp olive oil, 6 tbsp water)
Add beans, vegetable broth concentrate, and 2½ cups water to the large pot. Squeeze the juice from the lemon half into the pot, dropping the rind in the broth afterward. Bring stew to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, 12 to 14 minutes. (4-serving meal: use 5 cups water) TIP: Remove seeds from the lemon half before juicing and adding to the pot.
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add kale and cook until bright green and wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Add parmesan, toss, and season with salt and pepper. (4-serving meal: use 2 tbsp olive oil)
Heat 1 tbsp (2 tbsp) olive oil Add cooked rice to the large pot and stir. Ladle Italian butter bean stew into bowls. Top with crispy sausage and parmesan kale and serve with lemon wedges. Tuck in!