Loaded Taco Bowls
with Spanish Rice & Charred Scallion Guacamole
View Full Nutrition Label
Get Recipes Delivered
- ½ cup Spanish rice
- 4 scallions, ends trimmed
- 2 corn tortillas, sliced into ¼-inch strips
- 1 avocado (pit removed)
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- ¼ oz fresh cilantro, leaves and tender stems finely chopped
- 2 limes, one juiced, one cut into wedges (divided)
- 2 plantains, peeled and cut into ½-inch thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 mini sweet peppers, trimmed and chopped
- 1 tbsp + 3 tsp vegetable oil*
- Salt and pepper*
- *Not included
- Ingredients are listed for 2 servings. If you're making 4 servings, please double your ingredients by using both meal kit bags provided.
- For full ingredient list, see Nutrition.
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Add Spanish rice and 1 cup water to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until the water is absorbed and grains are tender, 13 to 15 minutes.
Heat 1 tsp vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallions and let cook, undisturbed, until charred, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook for about 1 minute. Remove charred scallions from heat and sprinkle with salt. (4-serving meal: use 2 tsp vegetable oil) TIP: We will use this skillet again in a later step.
Add tortilla strips, 2 tsp vegetable oil, and a pinch of salt to a baking sheet and toss. Bake until crispy and lightly browned, tossing halfway through baking, 5 to 6 minutes. (4-serving meal: use 4 tsp vegetable oil)
Chop the charred scallions and add to a medium bowl. Add avocado flesh to the bowl with the scallion, and mash with a fork. Add jalapeño, cilantro, and lime juice to the bowl, and stir. Sprinkle guacamole with salt.
Return the large nonstick skillet to medium-high heat with 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Add plantain and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until plantain is browned on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and sweet peppers and cook until fragrant, another 2 to 3 minutes. (4-serving meal: use 2 tbsp vegetable oil) TIP: Work in batches for the 4 person meal.
Divide rice between bowls and add plantain with garlic and sweet peppers. Dollop with charred scallion guacamole. Top the loaded taco bowls with crispy tortilla strips and serve with lime wedges. Dig in!